We provide counselling placements to counselling students at our branches in Weston-super-Mare and Bridgwater.
What do we offer our counsellors?
- A safe and supportive environment to work with adult clients from a range of socio-economic backgrounds and presenting problems
- Access to free group supervision
- Free CPD events across the year
- Bi-annual staff meals
- On-going mentoring
- All clients are assessed prior to allocation
What do we ask for?
We ask all students to be willing to work with four clients a week. This is dependent on client availability. The number of clients that you see will be gradually increased to four once you have started your placement with us.
Requirements for applicants
We ask that all applicants:
- Are in the second year of their diploma or degree
- Have had a minimum of 20 hours of personal counselling
- Are a member of a PSA-accredited professional body, or have applied for membership (e.g. NCS, BACP or UKCP)
- Have a one-to-one supervisor or are able to contract with a one-to-one supervisor before seeing clients at New Dawn
How to apply and process
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include some brief information about the course that you are on and any relevant experience.
We will contact you for more information if we need it. If we don't need more information, we will contact you either to book an interview or to advise that you're not eligible to apply for a placement with us at this time. If we don't accept your application, we will always provide you with a reason.
We interview throughout the year. The interview will be with two members of New Dawn, at least one of which will be a director. Following the interview, the two interviwers will make a joint decision and you will be informed of this the same day. If we're unable to offer you a placement, we will explain why.
If you are successful at interview, you will have a full induction prior to starting with clients.